NOTE: During the Covid-19 Emergency and effective dates of the Stay-At-Home orders, I am working remotely. During this time, the best way to reach me is by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Mr. Deer has worked extensively in civil litigation, real estate transactions and corporate/business affairs. He emphasizes solutions that relate to the practical realities of business, avoiding the burden of unnecessary litigation or excessive attorney involvement. He strives to resolve business disputes quickly without wasting client resources. In business transactions, he is thoughtful and constructive. When required, Mr. Deer aggressively pursues resolution of disputes through the courts or arbitration.
Mr. Deer’s extensive commercial litigation experience includes numerous trials in state or federal courts, arbitrations and mediations. He practices in the areas of real estate, corporate and partnership disputes, licensing, contracts, commercial collections, commercial leasing, commercial insurance claims, life insurance fraud (on behalf of individual victims) and a wide variety of other business claims. In his real estate/business law practice, Mr. Deer handles general business contracts, corporate and business entity formation and governance, and matters in commercial real estate, licensing, business purchases and sales, entertainment contracts, and numerous other business issues.
These are some of Mr. Deer’s representative litigation accomplishments from the last decade:
- Successfully defended owner of a $12 million professional building against an attack on ownership of the property and prosecuted counter-claim resulting in $3.5 million judgment in client’s favor.
- Successfully prosecuted claim against insurance companies and brokers for fraudulent sale of high value life insurance.
- Prosecuted claim by construction business principal in hotly litigated dispute with co-owner, resulting in Court ordered sale of co-owner’s interest to the firm’s client and recovery of damages.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of investor victims of a massive national real estate scam, recovering substantial damages against a law firm that conspired with the fraudulent developer.
- Regularly represents landlords or tenants in resolving commercial real estate disputes or evicting commercial tenants.
- Obtained a federal injunction on behalf of publicly traded manufacturing company against a significant trademark infringer.
- Pursued and obtained $2.3 million judgment in favor of high profile public figure against sophisticated fraudulent entertainment venture.
- Successfully prosecuted and tried claim by property owners and their broker against seller for rent guarantees and brokers’ commissions, resulting in $1.2 million judgment, then successfully collected on the judgment against very recalcitrant debtor.
- Successfully prosecuted claim on behalf of premium finance company against insurance carriers over general agent’s fraud scam, resulting in favorable settlements recovering a substantial portion of the significant loss.
- Defended furniture manufacturer in $5 million wage and hour class action resulting in highly favorable settlement.
On the business and real estate side of his practice, Mr. Deer spent his early career working in house in business and legal affairs (negotiating and documenting business deals) for New Line Cinema, Trump Wilshire Associates (a business venture that included both high-profile real estate development and motion picture activity) and others.
In private practice, Mr. Deer handles a variety of business and real estate transactions including:
- commercial real estate closing and finance
- corporate services including formation, operation and governance of corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and limited partnerships
- commercial leasing
- general business contracts
- business financing
- business purchase and sales
His clients have included celebrities, real estate investors and developers, brokers, lenders, manufacturers, small businesses, publicly traded companies, finance companies, entertainment ventures, Internet businesses including social media ventures, branding and public relations companies, and others.
Education And Clerkship
University of South Florida (B.A./cum laude) 1981
University of Florida College of Law (JD with honors/law review) 1985
Law clerk for the Honorable Ralph W. Nimmons, First District Court of Appeal, Tallahassee, Florida (1985/87)
Member of the Litigation Section of the California Bar.
Moderates panels and puts on programs of MCLE for CEB, the California Bar’s continuing legal education organization.
Producer of Continuing Legal Education documentary programs for California attorneys.